Friday, February 10, 2012

THE DECISION


In the fall of 2008, I was in my early twenties, and I had been contemplating my career choices.  I felt I was at an impasse in my present career.  As much as I enjoyed the relationships that I had developed through work, I felt I need to move on and accomplish something more in life.  I needed to find my mission.

After I had been contemplating this idea for several weeks, I had an experience that made my decision.  I was babysitting my 4-year-old nephew (something I did often) and tucking him into bed, but, first, I let him choose a book to read.  As I was reading the book with him, I felt alive.  In the past, I never paid too much attention to why I enjoyed engaging in activities with children—until that moment.  As we were reading the book, I asked him questions, and we laughed at our silly predictions.  When I closed up the book and kissed him goodnight, I thought to myself, “I would love to do this everyday.”  As I turned off the bedroom light, I made my decision, and I whispered to myself, “a teacher.”

Here is a picture of me reading to my nephews!  I love how much they love reading!


Have you ever decided to change your career?  What solidified your decision and why?

I found this news article on why people who are changing their careers are attracted to teaching.  


If you decided to change your career to teaching, do any of these career changing reasons match up with your attraction to teaching?



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the news article you posted. I found it very interesting. I feel that when someone wants to be a teacher that any experience with kids is a reminder of "this is why I want to be a teacher" or "this is why I am teaching." Even as a toddler teacher I loved teaching kids. When they 15month year olds came into my classroom they climbed, they smiled, they laughed, walked, but they could not talk. When I left they were all talking up a storm. They could say all the kids in the classes names as well as mine. Even children 15months old made me feel like I made a difference. I always wanted to be a teacher and I am still in school to become one. I knew I wanted to be a teacher because I have had many experiences of working with students even when I was in school. I am glad you changed your career to something you feel is right for you. I loved your blogs. Thanks for sharing.
    -Katherine Thomson

    ReplyDelete