Friday, February 10, 2012

THE REINFORCEMENT


Walking into an elementary school building after several years was motivational on my journey in becoming an educator.  I was walking into interview an Illinois certified teacher.  During this interview, I gained a vast amount of knowledge about education—the ups, the downs, and the in-betweens.  I label this experience as the one that cemented my choice in becoming a teacher. 

The teacher’s name is Jennifer.  Throughout the interview, I could see her enthusiasm for teaching and the love she had for her students.  I often reflect back on her answers to the questions I presented.  She motivated me with every response.  She was persistent in stating that teachers need to well-educated on a lesson they are presenting, so they can teach it in a multitude of ways, because each student learns differently.  She reminded me that when you are a teacher you are always on stage.  If you are not happy, the students will know it.  If you love them or do not love them, they will know it.  Her insight reinforced why I wanted to become an educator.

Preservice teachers, have you ever wondered what questions you should ask a current teacher?  Well, here is a list of some of the questions my professor provided to me, and I then asked Jennifer. 

  • What programs / activities does your school and / or district provide to recognize and meet the diverse needs?
  • How does your school utilize technology to address individual student needs?
  • How do you bridge the instructional materials with student interests and experiences?
  • What is the key to effective classroom management and discipline?
  •  What should we be doing for students in general today, in your opinion? 
  • What type of assessments do you use to evaluate how students have understood the material?
  • What methods do you use as a reflective practitioner to evaluate the effectiveness of your classroom presentations?
  • What professional organizations do you belong to and why do you consider them to be important?
  • What are of the current legal issues in education today, as you see it?
  • What characteristics do you think are important for a teacher to have?

What questions have you asked current teachers to get a better idea of what teaching really entails?

Jennifer made me reflect on the type of teacher I want to be and how I want to interact with my students and their parents.  Who has given you guidance in shaping the type of teacher you want to be?

I suggest looking up teacher interviews.  Below is a link to an interview with a teacher who is very blunt…


What do you think of his responses?  Do you think our country is in the process of changing from this view of teachers?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is very supportive! I am in the process of answering the questions your professor provided to you prior to viewing the video. Then, I will review the video. I believe the bar has been raised on the expectations parents have for public education. I recently watched a news report about Parent Unions starting in cities throughout the country because they are fed up with not being involved in important decisions that occur at their child's school. Plus, online schools are being advertised for parents to enroll their children in. What would stop them since they know their child is home safely and learning without class disruptions? I

    ReplyDelete