Friday, February 10, 2012

THE KNOWLEDGE


Continuing on with my journey…I have completed several hours of observation both inside and outside the classroom.  As we all know, teachers in Illinois are required to complete a minimum of 100 hours of classroom observation.  Through this observation, I have started to sketch my idea of the type of teacher I want to become.  I gained more knowledge observing classrooms than any textbook I read.  Experiencing a classroom setting encouraged me to continue on with my journey.  When I left the classroom after an observation, I could not wait to return for my next observation. 

In the fall of 2011, as part of my observation, I taught a 5th grade math lesson.  During the measurement lesson, I let the students work in pairs to pick to points on a map of their town and find the distance between those two points.  The students were laughing and having fun.  After the lesson, one student came up to me and told me that I did a good job teaching the lesson and that she learned how to measure.  After that statement, I felt I accomplished something profound.  She said she learned how to use a ruler and they had fun doing the activity.  Watching the students complete the lesson gave me insight as a teacher and made me feel empowered. 

Out of the classroom, I work on projects with my nephews.  I experiment teaching strategies and activities with them.  It has come to the point that every time I see them they ask me what project they will be doing.  I am more at easy with my family, so having the opportunity to experiment in a safe setting continues my interest in teaching. 

Below are a few activities that we have done together and a short video clip. 






Having trouble figuring out what you should be observing in a classroom?  Check out this checklist.  It will give you some ideas to think about when observing.


How do you think your observation of students in and out of a classroom will influence you as a teacher?

1 comment:

  1. Bernadette,

    Thank you for the link to the classroom observation checklist. It is very helpful considering I am entering the field of education for the first time. I do not have experience teaching since I work as a Consultant at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. I could sense from your field work experiences you encountered a very rewarding experience teaching mathematics to 5th graders. You must have been so excited leaving school that day with the feedback you received. I believe from your experiences with JA, classroom experience, family support you are ready for this. I am slightly nervous because of the unknown, but I found when I do my observations I tend to loosen up a bit and naturally become a participant within the classroom. You certainly are an inspiration to me since I do not have extensive experience in education. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete